Monday, February 9, 2009

You Have What It Takes...



I have recently read a short piece by John Eldredge called, You Have What It Takes: What Every Father Needs to Know. I truly loved this read. My buddy Josh Via (www.joshvia.com) got me started reading Eldredge after seeing his review of Epic.
If you are a father, this is a must read. The book is short (50 pages), but will challenge you in the way you father your sons and daughters. Eldredge basically offers that every boy and girl are asking a question in life. He proposes that you and I as fathers have the great task of answering their question. Read the book to find out what the questions are.
You know, there are some days when I feel like I'm doing a lousy job as a dad. After a long day of work, I find myself vegging out on the couch instead of making an impact on my children. Sometimes I feel my selfishness rising up within me. You know, that little voice that says, "Relax. You've had a long day. Rest now. Put on a movie for the kids. Take it easy. You deserve it! Think of all you've done today." Before you and the Lord, I confess and repent of this selfishness! I know that God is calling me to something greater as their father. God has called me to bring them up in the Lord and to love them by my deeds as much as by words.
Fatherhood is such a challenging task! But the rewards are also worth the effort. I hope you'll read this book (cost about $3), and I hope you'll find encouragement as you father your children. If you live in Macon, I'd love to let you borrow my copy. Just ask me sometime!

No comments: