Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Is there a "u" in Zerubbabel?

One of my many weaknesses in life, and there are many, is being a great starter but a horrible finisher. You know what I mean? I will start a project with vigor and will sputter toward the end. I am constantly reminded of my failure to be a finisher. With the Lord's help, I have resolved to be more of a finisher than I have been in the past.
As I read through Ezra, I see evidence of a fellow sputterer - Zerubbabel. What a name! I'll take Fred over that one any day of the week. Zerubbabel appears in Ezra 3 and is one of the primary leaders in rebuilding the temple of God in Jerusalem. After the destruction of the temple in 586 B.C. and the exile in Babylon, King Cyrus of Persia allowed the people of God to return to Jerusalem. By the way, Isaiah had propesied this to happen over 100 years before this occurred. Back to Z - He helped lead the team to rebuild the temple of God. At first, all seems well. They even have a worship team leading them in songs of praise - not really a new concept, huh? But alas, Z suffered the fate as I have in the past. Opposition arose to the rebuilding of the temple, and these words are recorded -
"Thus the work on the house of God in Jerusalem came to a standstill until the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia." (4:24)
Can you relate to Z? Is there a little "u" in Zerubbabel?
I hope and pray that we can be faithful in the most vital parts of our lives. I pray that God will help us to be faithful to Him for life. May we not sputter in our spiritual walk with the Lord.
If you've never read through the Old Testament, I strongly suggest sitting down and reading this great history of our faith. You'll see so many people that remind you of yourself in some ways. This is our story, our history, our heritage.

1 comment:

the broomes said...

Hey babe: thank you for motivating me to be a "finisher." I have been convicted of this lately as well. I love you...thanks for encouraging me to love Jesus more.:)