Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Family Discipleship...

Last night, Lindsey and I attempted to have another family worship time. We began by singing "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever." I'd love to tell you that our 2 year old and 1 year old sat there, hands raised, and worshipped the Lord fervently. Here's the real picture: Joshua is making sure that everyone has the proper beaded pillow and running around the family room. Anna Bell is sitting with Lindsey, laughing at her brother's entertainment. Nonetheless, we pressed on with our family time.
We taught about the 3rd day of creation. We taught that God made the ground and vegetation, and used the visual illustration of bananas to explain what God had made. Truthfully, Joshua was more interested in eating the bananas. Overall, it was a great time of discipleship for our children.
If I could encourage you in one thing, I would implore you to develop a discipleship time for your family. I know what you are thinking, "But you are in the ministry!" So are you. God has given you a ministry; it's called your family. You are responsible. God has equipped you to train your children. Listen, it's not easy. It's not perfect. Sometimes it can be frustrating. But we must let the Word be our guide, and the Word instructs us to teach our children (of all ages) the great news of the gospel of peace. You can do it!

1 comment:

Jeff A. Spry said...

Keep on. It doesn't get any easier but it also never gets any more difficult. You are the pastor to your family and the most masculine thing you'll ever do it stand before the Lord with your family.

Here's a message I delivered at my church at our recent men's conference. I spoke on this very issue:
http://www.thelinkup.com/shared/men08-bible