Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Faith Like a Child

Lindsey and I are truly blessed with our children. Let me give you a glimpse into the Broome house. Each day, there are challenges just as every family faces. In general the day begins with Joshua eating his dry cereal and dumping most of them on the floor or couch (things disappear in our plush leather couches - that have been in my family for about 15 years). There's also the typical brother/sister showdown. The showdown usually begins with Anna Bell antagonizing her brother and ends with his physical response (pushing) followed by her desperate cry in effort to get him into trouble. Throughout the day there are multiple opportunities to see the evidence of the Fall of Humanity in the lives of our dear little ones.
In the grace of God there are other times. As mention previously, Joshua loves to say his Bible verses and recites them several times each day. He's now memorized Ephesians 6:1 and John 14:6. Each night as I tuck him in bed, he asks to say his verses. After saying them, he always ask to learn a new verse. We are teaching him one per week.
There are times with Anna Bell that she gets to play the role of the Holy Spirit in our lives. For instance, while sitting down to a delicious meal prepared by Lindsey, things can be hectic. Making sure each child has milk, juice, water, ice, food, utensils, plates, trays, etc...can be interesting. We once finally sat down to eat and we'd bypassed a prayer over our meal. There we were, stuffing our faces with fine cuisine in similar fashion to the cookie monster chomping down his favorite snack. Then, when taking a breath from the gorging exercise, out of the corner of my eye sat little Anna Bell. She patiently sat there with her hands folded together, seemingly waiting for the most important part of the pre-meal custom that we'd forgotten about. As a family we stopped and prayed together and then Anna Bell finished the prayer with a hearty "Amen!" (I think that's what she said anyway - could've been "Oh my!").
So as we wait for the next child to come in December, we can only wonder what God will teach us through this new little life.
I have gotten interesting and diverse responses from folks when they hear the news of our next baby. I believe that children are a blessing from the Lord; and Lindsey and I are so blessed to be learners of these little ones. Hopefully we can teach them some things as well.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I heartily echo Anna Bell's, "oh my and Amen!" I think one of God's greatest blessings is the way we can learn about His nature and love when we view ourselves through the lens that is our offspring. God bless you and Lindsey as you lovingly parent your little treasures from The Lord!

Kelli said...

You guys are such great parents. Thanks for sharing your experiences through this blog. Since reading your blog, I've been convicted to start a worship time with the kids during the day. It's been fun to read them stories of Abraham and sing songs together. Sloan likes to make up his own praise songs and it's blown me away the words he's sung. Like, super, theologically sound lyrics. Kids are a true blessing aren't they?

Shannon Bradley said...

I wonder why I almost feel like I have sat in your kitchen during dinner as I read your post?? Sounds just like the Bradley house...
At night, we sing and pray before putting the kids to bed. Now, Luke says for us to "pay" again about 50 times before lights go out. In one night, we have prayed for all extended members of our family, every dog in the family, and last but not least, the request to pray for Scooby Doo..hahaha Ross cringes ahhahaha.....it really is awesome to see a childlike desire for Christ, even if they don't fully understand yet.
(hope to see yall soon)